Search academic research
Search scholarly literature across many disciplines and sources – peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, abstracts and articles, from academic publishers, professional societies, preprint repositories, universities and other scholarly organizations. Google Scholar helps you identify the most relevant published research in academia.
Search by author
Enter the author's name in quotations: "d knuth". To increase the number of results, use initials rather than the full first name.
If you're finding too many papers which mention the author, you can use the
author: operator to search for specific authors. For example, you can try
author:"d knuth", or
author:"donald e knuth".
Search by title
Put the paper's title in quotations: "A History of the China Sea." Google Scholar will automatically find the paper as well as other papers which mention it.
Find recent research on a particular topic
After searching, click on "Recent articles" on the right side of any results page, and your results will be re-sorted to help you find newer research more quickly. The new ordering considers factors like the prominence of the author's and journal's previous papers, as well as the full text of each article and how often it has been cited.
Search for papers in specific publications
Search by category
From the Advanced Search page, you can search for scholarly literature within seven broad areas of research. Simply check the boxes for the subject areas you're interested in searching.
More detailed instructions are available
What it's good for
- Search engine with a focus on scientific literature. Search articles, publications or timeframes
- Search academic pages only
- Find scholarly journal articles on a given topic. University libraries can be hooked up with this in order to access the full text of articles
- Access to journal articles online
- Indexes traditional scientific literature, as well as preprints and “grey” self-archived publications from selected institutional Web sites
- Research academic references and journals